The Legalett GEO-Slab (Frost Protected Structural -Shallow Foundation) Slab on Grade System Is Essentially Two Building Systems In One:
The Foundation and the Air-Heated Flooring System
Legalett's GEO-Slab Frost Protected Shallow Foundation & Air-Heated Radiant Floor System is a simple concept:
- The Legalett system circulates warm air through a network of air piping cast into the concrete slab/foundation.
- Air is the only energy transport medium
- The concrete slab/foundation provides a large thermal mass for heat storage and deliver to the building.
GEO-Slab is perfect for all types of construction including:
- Residential construction
- Day Care Facilities
- Assembly Buildings
- Industrial & Commercial Buildings
- Healthcare & Assisted Living Facilities
The foundation is the engineered structural concrete slab.
- It floats on a double layer of rigid polystyrene.
- It rests on a well-drained layer of crushed stone.
- The Slab On Grade design is engineered for frost protection.
- Frost walls are not required
The heated floor system is a network of pipes from a furnace box that is cast in the slab.
- It distributes the heat from the heating source evenly throughout the house.
- There are no drafts, cold areas or hot spots.
- The heated slab will typically be a couple of degrees above the ambient temperature of the room.
- It will gently radiate its energy to the occupants of the building in a low intensity, comfortable, efficient manner.
- The slab can also passively absorb energy from the daytime sun and distribute it at night, reducing the amount of purchased energy required.
The slab is always warmer than the soil and crushed stone.
- Thus moisture migrates downward and away from the building.
- The warm slab also inhibits static electricity and dust formation.
- Dust is further reduced when filtering the incoming and any re-circulated air.
Warm air can be blown through the slab immediately after it is poured using a construction heater allowing extension of the construction season.
- The slab dries out quickly.
- Breeding places for molds and fungi never occur.
All functions of the system are controlled by simple wall mounted controls.
- All mechanical components, including the single moving part (the fan), are contained within the furnace box, which sits flush with the slab surface and is easily accessible.
Simple to Install:
- The Legalett GEO-Slab system provides for a faster and more efficient site preparation due to the use of a flat gravel bed. The simple installation of the Legalett GEO-Slab components in the slab also increases installation efficiency. Permanent edging units, which eliminate traditional formwork, allows a short construction time. (See typical Legalett installation)
Even, Comfortable and Healthy Indoor Living Environment:
- Due to the Legalett foundation’s heat-storage properties, an even stable indoor climate is maintained even when there is a quick change in the weather. Legalett ensures warm and comfortable floors.
- The quality of building construction and air changes affect building heating requirements. Modern construction practices together with a Heat Recovery Ventilation (HRV) system and integral in-duct pre-heater offer a very pleasant indoor climate with the Legalett system.
Low Maintenance Cost:
- The closed loop pipe system does not require cleaning or maintenance. The air pipes do not have the leakage risks of a water system. There is no limit to the lifetime of the pipe system.
- The fan and the heating unit are installed in the closed system with easy access. This allows for ideal operating conditions during the lifespan of the heating unit. Should there be a need for servicing, the unit can be easily repaired or replaced.
Convenient for the Physically Challenged:
- The low entry height of a slab on grade and the heated floor make the Legalett GEO-Slab system very convenient for the physically challenged as well as for small children and infants.
Heat during Power Outages:
- The heat storage system is advantageous in the event of a power outage. Due to the slab’s ability to store energy, it can release its large store of heat over a long period of time.
- As soon as concrete is poured, a Legalett Construction Heater can be connected to the pipe-heating system. This effectively dries out the slab evenly, a process that can continue throughout the construction period. In addition to extending the construction season, this has advantages for the entire building process. Painting and floor laying can be carried out at an earlier stage than with conventional construction methods. (Traditional building heaters need not be used in cold weather.)
Get a Quote Here